One certain thing that keeps changing in our lifetime is the weather. Of this, we all agree. However, these changes can also bring detrimental effects to the living conditions of our senior loved ones, especially if they need supervision and home health care.
But with sufficient knowledge and information, you can continue to preserve the overall wellness of your senior loved one whether they’re indoors or outdoors, and with the changing weather outside. Here is our top set of recommendations and we hope these could help as you provide personal care services to your family member.
- Ensure hydration Water is a very essential ally when it comes to withstanding warm and cold season. Our elderly loved ones can also lose water but their sense for it is no longer as active. Ensure that they can drink water or eating juicy fruits every once in a while to maintain their hydration in place.
- Dress weather-appropriately The temperature brought by the weather changes can affect the health conditions of our senior loved ones. So when during the cold season, ensure they’re well-covered, and during the warmer days, help their skin to breathe well. Their clothing is their initial line of defense from the weather effects.
- Use sunscreen protection Only when necessary, sunscreen lotions can protect the skin from the ultra-violet rays of the sun. While applying this is very ideal during summertime, putting on sunscreen during the cold weather can also help. This can serve as a moisturizer to a senior’s skin, which needs care from drying.
- Take your medications When there are changes in the weather, our aging loved ones can be at risk for heat stroke, dehydration, flu, or other weather-related illnesses. The effects of the temperature can complicate their health if they have not adhered to their medication intake as scheduled. Remind your senior loved one to take their meds on time.
- Stay indoors when necessary When the weather is at its extreme level, such as too hot or too cold, it’s very safe for our senior loved ones to stay indoors. Heaters or air-conditioners at home can be adjusted to provide a neutral atmosphere that is ideal for their overall health. If they also need home health services in Florida, professional care providers can monitor them at home.
How ready are you with the changing weather situation? Are you in need of quality home health aide in Miami, Florida to assist your senior loved one to ensure their overall safety? We can partner with you in this. Simply keep in touch with us so we can make assessments on how we can be of proper assistance to your loved one.
Our team at Total Home Health Care, Inc.
is also always ready to provide assistance for you or your senior loved one, whether it's for Live in Services, Nursing Services, or Home Care Services. Has this post reminded you of a friend or loved one? Share this to them right away.